Thursday, January 3, 2008

Long Way Gone? No. Real Gone? Yes.

A woman pulled out in front of me today, in a blue bug, with a "we vote pro-life" sticker, and behind it there was an american flag waving upward and epically. She did 20 mph until I changed lanes.

I thought "you know sometimes pro-life people are the best pro-choice argument."

Then the word "choice" hit me and I thought "man those paleoliberals" were brilliant folks, but the hippies were all for vague generalities and went for the "you know people should just not be dicks man, and like just get along and love each other and stuff." And I think when that was said you could hear 10,000 would be democrats vote for Richard Nixon.

I'd have voted for Richard Nixon by the way and I still would. To me, he's behind Teddy Roosevelt for the best President of this century....or that century.

Think about this though, for all that democrats say that republicans are a contradicting lot (and the neo-cons are) they rarely use that logic against them.

For every vote against the war, and funding that earns them a "why do you hate the troops?"

Why don't we, for every pro-lifer, give them a "why are you such a big government, UN-lover?"

Same with the patriot act.

I think too many democrats think their above the righteous fury of the other side. Be civil at your own peril I say.

And Speaking of which, I was listening to "on point" with Tom Ashbrook the other day and a "humorist" which god knows how you get that title, named Roy Blunt Junior was on speaking about the divide in the country of the north and south. How when he read the New Yorker as a young man it was a revelation. There was no civil war or lynching’s he said.

but the length of the interview that i heard had him say that, in only subtle fashions, the south was the more desireable place, even if its bogged down with its own problems.

I'm bias, I love New England. And I do not accept that New Englanders are square-glass wearing, Jazz aficionados that are walking around with Doolitte playing on their iPod. They don't scoff at conservative opinions, they don't all read Dostoevsky and drink at tealuxe. We're not godless heathens that are stuffy and no fun.

I'm still at a loss as to why the country doesn't know this, i'm still at a loss as to why we're the most prejudiced region in the country. I don't know why the country laughs and agree's when George Bush says "what do you expect from a Senator from Massachusetts."

Its a bit unsettling to see something known and beloved trashed by an ignorant, oppressive and moralistic group of over prideful southerners.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah. I love MA. I do. But it's a different world from the rest of the country...there is no getting around that. No matter what, they do not and will not understand that it is ok that a place like Boston exists in this country. They think it is an evil, vile place filled with homosexuals and Kennedys and "smart people" (meant as an insult). The two pieces of advice I've ever gotten from my very conservative, midwestern father: 1) don't smoke because it's too expensive. 2) Be careful on the streets of Boston, there are a lot of liberals out there.
Likewise, I think it is interesting that a lot of people from MA don't realize that they are living in a bubble, separate from the rest of the U.S.