Saturday, August 4, 2007

Second star to the right...

When I was in third grade they made us write to a celebrity we liked just so we could learn how to format a letter properly. Back then, every year for my birthday we'd go to the movies cause we didn't do that often and I guess that meant it was special. That year I wanted to see Hook and so when it came time to write my letter, I wrote to Robin Williams. I thought he was the funniest man ever and I couldn't possibly conceive of a better, more deserving person to write to.

The class couldn't remember which publishing company Hook was made by and so we guessed. When I got no response back, we just assumed it was the wrong publisher. In reality (at 24) I realize that a publishing company has as much to with an actor as a university does with a guest speaker. Whatever, not the point. Anyways...

I still remember a line from that movie where Rufio has to determine whether or not the aged Robin Williams is in fact the Pan they remember. I'm paraphrasing but he says something like "you still have the smell of someone whose ridden on the back of the wind." Its a throwaway line applicable and germane to only the movie itself but I'm going to reference it here.


Since moving to the peoples republic I ride my bike at least twice a day, and every time I do I can't help but think of that line. I have an unhealthy obsession with the ocean and sailing and I feel as Jimmy Buffet does, that I'm a pirate that "showed up 200 years too late." But riding my bike through the back roads and main drags of late night Somerville/Cambridge is the closest I'll get to that, and I have to imagine its not much different.

Given everything thats been going on, on top of all of this there is something I'm going to have to go get checked out. I think theres something wrong with my Kidney and whatever is going on there, its effecting my heart in some fashion. I can't breathe without shooting pains rocketing back and forth between the two places. Prior to the downfall, I'd have probably told my parents. Instead I decided to just start riding without my helmet, and I have to say that so long as they don't try to save me and leave me a vegetable or worse (worse being better and so therefor brain damaged) I don't think I could be happier. Tonight I just coasted around, drunk on long island ice teas and I sang to myself and other cyclists and I bought some mama Celeste pizzas. I don't care anymore and if caring means I have to give all this up to stress out more well then I hope I die a hobo.

I've been blowing quite a few people off lately, and they get mad but I don't have it in me to explain that they live depressing lives that I refuse to be a part of. So I just go off and do my own thing. Keep up if you want, but I won't force you. The trips are still on and the plans to move are gaining more popularity. According to plan, Ill be in Chicago, Austin, Omaha, Seattle and Frisco by this time next year.

I never wanted to leave anyone behind. I still feel bad about it and at times a little guilty, but I can't drag them along for the rest of my life, it only stunts me, so I'm leaving a few of them behind. I smell like the wind, and I'm going to keep it that way.

"And the wind in my face And it's good just to be alive Gonna set out tonight for New Orleans"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome, welcome to the island. Go to market basket get drunk in the square. stop at the 24 hour shaws for snacks at 4am. awwww yeah.

Tonight I just coasted around, drunk on long island ice teas and I sang to myself and other cyclists and I bought some mama Celeste pizzas.



sounds like my kinda night...

Anonymous said...

yeah, point taken about leaving people behind. Sometimes it just has to happen...sometimes something makes it happen. You have the right outlook, though.

Anonymous said...

It's not that you are unhealthily obsessed with the ocean or sailing, it's that you are mesmerized by the unshaved drunken men with 70-some-odd years of sea salt weaved into their hair and stories to match their looks. Maybe you just want to come out of this, out of everything, with a story to tell.