Sunday, August 12, 2007

Life in a Calendar

The twilight showed up an hour and a half early with screeching wheels, a handle of vodka, and a loose necktie. I stood on a bridge over the Charles, and a speed boat ripped through our coveted "dirty water." I'd always wanted to stand on one of the several bridges that connect Cambridge and Boston but I'd always lived to far away and I always got weighed down by the nothing that I had to do.

I felt like somehow this was it. Boston had been a home and a brother to me since I'd moved there and this was the confession at the alter that I'd had become a man and had to move on. The Harvard church bell tower in its puritan white spoke to me from over the trees, and I knew that while I might be leaving that image was something that was natural to me and that regardless of where they buried me I'd probably be a "wild colonial boy" of New England for the rest of my life.


Everyone moved off, and they turned in their phones, and the roads here stopped smoldering since we've stopped running them ragged at 2 am full of rum and bad folk songs. yesterday the cameras pulled back and played a slow sad song and took in all that had happened in 3 short weeks. The familiar sounds of silence on quite bridges at 3 am when you've been blown off by all the terrible plans you'd never be caught dead doing seems too familiar to stick with. You run out of things to write about and you're forced to realize that what you wanted was just defenses against you're own insecurities.

I don't want to get married. Its too hot to sleep next to someone in the summer and besides, I throw elbows in the middle of the night and I like getting lost in blankets. No one likes interesting things and I don't have time to pretend to like your shit, or find out why you're interesting. I don't have time after the break up to explain why you're not as hot as you think you are.

Or what kind of mistake you've made. Do you know who I am? I picked up a girl with a cheeseburger, and had a lesbian ask me for sex. I play piano with proficiency and speak 1.5 languages. I have perfect diction and write theories on the ways to improve the two great parties of America. I've finished 5 triathlons, 18 road trips and 1 half marathon. I've helped children taken from their families make honor role and find out why science is fun. I buy paul newmans salsa because all proceeds go to charity, and know who Shinzo Abe is. I wrote a play that was featured in a theater festival that used the term "whale sperm" on three occasions, and the audience laughed throughout. i've been a friend through the worst times and an enemy when no one else will say it. I sleep off every grudge I've had since I hit 21 and I may often be tardy but I'm always there when you need me, regardless of time zone.

My name is [Brow]. You killed my father, prepare to die.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

inconcevable!
you are special, huh?

Brow said...

did you not read the blog?

Cathy said...

I buy paul newmans salsa because all proceeds go to charity

Cathy said...

That was my favorite part.

Anonymous said...

what blog?

Anonymous said...

wow. you should paint that on your bedroom wall and read it every morning before you go out. You ARE Brennan J. Molina. Fuck yeah.

Big said...

I need to read this play.