Gay Marriage, the newest and most hotly contest issue in the social-conservatives bag of tricks, has for one reason or another come barreling back into the lime-light as an issue that has commanded the attention of the national media so viciously, that we’re having articles written on articles. The meta-narrative runneth over and its come to a point where it may want to have its head checked.
As it started I watched Social Conservatives reigning champion, Mike Huckabee state his case before a decidedly Liberal audience on Jon Stewarts “Daily Show.” It goes without saying that to make headway here might have been a pipe dream, but it speaks volumes about a man’s character that he would speak before the lion’s den about his convictions, knowing full well he’d be cheered down by every point his opponent made. While I wouldn’t go as far as to say this was comparable to Kennedy’s appearance before the Baptist Ministers Union appearance, I would say it’s along the same lines.
While I applaud his decision to make the appearance I have to say that his arguments were more of a standing of ground, rather than an imperial crusade. Regardless of venue, I’d guess his arguments would serve only to confirm the similar convictions of the choir, and while he might be speaking to a head nodding consortium, his words won’t inspire a revelry among any new demographics, and it would stir the passions of his committed.
The argument was largely liturgical and literal. “The definition is X, it’s always been X, we shouldn’t change it to Y.” We’ve heard it, its not new, and further more its open to a great many logical attacks to which there aren’t defenses. When one advocate for equal rights said “well why not change all civic citations of ‘marriage’ to ‘union’ so we don’t have to segregate and we don’t have to trample religious tradition” (a war no advocate is interested in) we fall back on tradition. I love tradition and it should be upheld, but not against the fabric of the republic. Free and Equal has always been Free and Equal, I’ve we’ve made a misstep in the past; we shouldn’t cite it as reason to continue to do it in the future. Let it be known that the above statement goes for anything, not just things we like or don’t like.
So while this argument is wrapping up I decide I’m going to grab the new Newsweek which is supposedly biblical advocacy for Gay marriage, an argument I’ve not heard of prior and by virtue of its novelty, I thought I might go check it out. As luck would have it I was out of Davis square and only surrounded by quick-e-marts that didn’t carry Newsweek (though somehow the Nation which was surprising since that’s written on tree bark for Christ’s sake)
Flash forward to the next day when I Google the Newsweek article to get some feedback and I stumble upon Mark Hemmingway’s article* in National Review Online, the conservatives arch-rag and largely considered one of the smartest and most well reasoned.
Reading through it, it makes note that the Newsweek article is largely the opinions of the writer and that the text is scant and rare. I’ll comment on that as soon as I can grab a Newsweek but what I can comment on thus far is that the traditional tactics of the hollow-right are rearing their ugly head; attacking a separate article by Newsweek Editor, attacking the supposed “slump in sales.” (Which by the way is affecting all print media and I’d like to point out that amount of balls it took NRO to print this while simultaneously having “donate to keep us strong” at the top of their page is beyond fathom.)
Its no secret I’m an advocate (which is no reason to dismiss my opinion) but the tides they are a changing and I am an independent who can’t stand the coming self-righteous wave of “told-you-so” morons lead by Sean Penn’s “Milk” which is in theaters, what now? Soon? Who knows, anyway the point is, while I don’t agree with the anti-marriage groups, I do think that there’s a point to end off with, and its coming with the silent success of the changing attitudes.
There isn’t much I agree with republican’s on, but the “white guilt syndrome” is one of them, and while this has nothing to do with race, the ethos is the same, that the culture of “I’m so awful I need to give everything away” is starting to eat away at its own base.
Once again, as is the point to most of my political rants, is that the left needs to regain its roar and cut off its whimper. Our convictions need to be ours and based in the fabric of the American mission, and not based on how we perceive other peoples struggle and then find ways to blame ourselves.
Thursday, December 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment