Sunday, January 4, 2009

Ryan Seacrest is the enemy

When I was a young lad, I took up a paper route. It wasn't like your paper route, I would imagine. Placate me here for a second, I'm guessing yours was a neighborhood deal that you either wanted or your parents made you get to instill some responsibility. You knew your neighbors names and called them Mr. or Ms. [last name], you earned a little extra spending cash for the concession stand down by the ball field and every Christmas you got excited because most folks on the street would give you a little holiday money, because you'd been so helpful all year round. You were a fucking eagle scout.

If that's you, and I'm guessing it is because that was every ones route in my neighborhood when I was growing up, then we in fact did not have the same paper route.

See I got my paper route under the guise of responsibility when I was in the 7th grade, I was roughly 13 and despite having been on the payroll of the Catholic Church and my uncles landscaping business, I apparently still needed to learn the virtue of a hard day's work. Or in this case days, because my paper route was born out of my mother inability to handle money. She's screwed herself into debt to a considerable degree and this was her way of making some extra money. It was slave labor. We made $5 for three days of work. At least the church gave me $3 a game when I'd help out at CYO.

The route grew in number every month because we needed more and more money. (Once a financial moron, always a financial moron). We'd start Friday afternoon when school got out, and we drove to all the mailboxes. At its height the number of houses we were to stop at had peeked just over 1,000 and it encompassed 5 surrounding towns. My mother would drive, while the person riding shotgun would hang the papers on the hook or run them up to the door, and the person in the back, amidst a sea of folded and bagged newspapers would fold and stuff until we switched. Obviously, my mother always drove.

I should mention here that this wasn't the home town paper. This was the paper you got when you didn't get the hometown paper. It was a glorified tabloid that no one really wanted, so you'd have to ninja the paper to their property because if they caught you, they would undoubtedly cancel, and you'd be down revenue. As I mentioned above, we couldn't be down revenue.

This inevitably led to problems. During the winter months, papers might occasionally land in the snow in someone's front yard. Complaints erupted at the Gazette when spring rolled around and large swaths of suburbia discovered their own mini-compost pile sitting in their front yard when they ran it over with their lawn mower. Numbers dropped but we pressed on. For an entire year, we sucked down hot chocolates and suffered through Casey Kasums top 100. I've heard more Mariah Carey and Boys II Men than I would ever hope to again in my life.

Somewhere close to the 1 year mark we were fired. Well, my mother was fired we were sort of along for the ride. The people that finally chased us down were still being counted to save revenue, but the papers were mounting in our basement, until we were getting close to capacity and my father went ape shit. Instead my mother went to the little league field to dump a bunch of papers in their dumpster, but the privately owned field saw her do it and decided to give the gazette a call. Some would call it terminated, but my brother and I saw it as liberation. And in hindsight, I think I've discovered why he's never held a job for more than a month in his life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this was a really, really great post. Top of your game, writing-wise, Bren. Heartbreaking. This is the stuff I love reading.

Cathy said...

I'd like to second that. I think it's my favorite thing you've written.

Anonymous said...

viva la revolution,.....i think i like your brother