I think i've decided i'm going to move toward becoming a teacher.
For a couple months now, stronger than ever, I've been wanting to write. Odd times, like while I'm sitting outside the bathroom waiting for someone or wathing parents fight with their children at the Fried Dough stand.
Last sunday, I sat down and brainstormed on how I could write for a living without resorting to that bastard black sheep of an option, journalism.
I was watching House because its an addiction and I thought I want this, I want mastry over some subject to such a degree that I can see past obvious tricks and traps and drive toward a goal. I want to matter, and after a short conversation on the Cape this past labor day with Zack, I see education as more important than medical advances.
I can't ever cure cancer, but I'd like to think I can make a kid find an appreciation for reading, and more over writing. i'd like to think that even though I never read worth a damn until i'd finished college, that I could show anyone that maybe theres some worth in it. Or how words can be taken apart like swiss clocks, dismantled, put back together in oddly phrased sentences to put the emphasis where you want it, to speak in a manner than can move people to move mountains.
I learned to love words too late for life to be simple. If I'd found reading sooner, I might have worked for the Harvard Crimson, I could have rubbed elbows with the publishers of major publicans. But I was a lazy ass and I valued road trips over anything intellectual. I'm not done yet, i just realized that theres a long road ahead. But I think i've found value in showing people what i've leanred on the road trips I took long after i'd left Taunton High, and that hard lessons i learned from learning no lessons for too many years.
Its coming together. I've learned the hard way how to get through things the way I wanted, but the point is I learned and i'm fine with that. What I'd like now is to show people how to find what they love, even if its nothing I have an interest in.
I've been talking about teaching for so many years. I think its time I actually started moving on it. Who knows, but if anyone has any advice, i'd appreciate it.
Sunday, October 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment